This time of year always reminds me of ‘The Sound of Music’ and the songs from it. I especially like “My Favorite Things” and used to sing it over and over as a young girl. I don’t have a lot of memories of growing up (for some reason), but then there are some I remember like they were yesterday. I remember singing that song in my bathroom when I was very young, with the door closed, while looking through the cabinet for fun girl stuff. I was a pack rat back then (no comments from the Peanut Gallery) and kept every toiletry and beauty product I could get my hands on in that cabinet. I loved spending the afternoon looking through my stash and smelling all the miniature bottles. There is nothing like lavender and chamomile lotions to make a little girl feel instantly grown up.
I don’t know that I’ve really thought about my favorite things since then, much less listed them out. Since it’s the time of year for sharing, here it goes.
My Favorite Things
- Tiny anythings make me squeal (I love miniatures – my current favorite miniature is my gold platypus from Chris Davis)
- Fall leaves (they always make me think of Fruity Pebbles)
- The smell and sound of rain (I recently discovered an iPad app that lets me choose from about 3o sounds to go to sleep to. I keep picking ‘Thunderstorm’ Over and over and over.)
- Leggings (they make me feel sassy, sexy, and curvy all at the same time)
- Hugs from children (my absolute favorite thing on the planet)
- Fuzzy hats
- Warm slippers
- Millie nuzzling her face to mine
- Holding Daniel’s hand
- Dinner with friends, especially when the girls get together
- Doggie kisses (any dog)
- Christmas lights
- Singing Christmas carols (one of my fondest memories)
- Hot cider w/ cinnamon sticks
What are your favorites this time of year?
Find peace inside.